Single Parent Rent Assistance

Single Parent Rent Assistance Is Available

Providing for all of your family’s needs as a single parent can be difficult. That is why there are a variety of rent assistance programs available for families in need, such as single-parent households and other low-income individuals. On both the state and federal level, there are rent assistance programs for which single parents and disadvantaged individuals can apply. Knowing what these programs are and how to apply to them when you are in need of rent assistance is important to helping you keep a roof over your family’s head. If you are in danger of eviction, you may be eligible for emergency single parent rent assistance or other forms of government assistance. To learn more about assistance eligibility and how to apply, continue reading the sections below.

Additional Resources Rent Assistance

Eligibility for Single Parent Rent Assistance

To be eligible for any form of single parent rent assistance, you must demonstrate difficulty to meet your monthly rent payments with your current salary. To qualify for Section 8 housing or other forms of rental assistance, your total gross income needs to be below the median gross household income of your county. As a single parent,your total household income may fall below the average gross income of other households in your area because there is only one primary source of income for the entire family. Many single parents that are struggling to meet housing payments are unaware that they may have a good chance of qualifying for some grant or other form of government assistance that can potentially make their rent much more affordable.

Single parents that care for disabled children may qualify for separate rental assistance programs and other forms of government funding to help them with their child’s medical bills and provide them with a stable home. The number of individuals in your household also affects your eligibility, as the minimum gross income requirements change with the size of the household. Depending on how many dependents you provide for, you may or may not be eligible for certain rent assistance programs. It is also important to remember that specific qualifications may change per state. Different states will provide a variety of single parent rent assistance programs that another state may not have. Because of this, always double check that the information you are gathering on a housing program is state-specific and reflects your individual circumstances. If you have received an eviction notice, you may already be more than qualified to receive some form of emergency rental assistance, if only for a limited amount of time.

Additional Resources Housing Assistance

Additional Rent Assistance Programs

Other HUD supported programs can reduce your housing expense by providing assistance with utilities. Utility assistance programs can pay for electricity in apartments for qualifying applicants. These programs may also help with other expenses related to apartment living. Utility assistance is a great benefit for families who are going through a transition such as underemployment or budgeting for school expenses.
Weatherization is another beneficial program that can provide both economic and health benefits for single parents. The first step of the weatherization process is to assess the condition of the home. Weatherization programs sponsored by the government allow single parents to apply for assistance in inspecting their home for issues such as air quality, toxins, energy and water. Once the assessment is complete, experts will determine in what categories your home can improve. For example, the program may install water heater insulation or solar water systems. They may also install smoke detectors, or install energy-efficient refrigerators.

Additional Resources Section 8

This program cannot only reduce housing costs, it can also reduce overall health costs by improving air quality or reducing mold in a home or apartment. This program can reduce heating costs by 30 percent. Average savings for families who go through a weatherization processare $283 per year. This is an enormous opportunity for a single parent who is looking to budget for their selves and their child.

Additional Resources Cheap Rentals

How to Apply for Single Parent Rent Assistance

To apply for single parent rent assistance, you need to provide proof of financial need, proof of legal U.S. residency and other documents depending on the assistance program you are applying to. You will oftentimes also need to provide proof of family structure. If you are applying as a single parent, you will need to provide your tax information to show that there are no other primary providers in your family. If you are claiming your children or other family members as dependents on your application, you must also provide their personal information to prove that they are related to you. If anyone else in your household is working full-time or part-time, or receiving government assistance, you will need to include that in your application, as well. When applying to an agency connected to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), private and public housing options will require different application documents and have dissimilar questions on their applications. Some public housing agencies require an applicants and their families to go through an interview and screening process before receiving rental assistance, but others do not. The ones that do require a tenant interview may even have varying degrees of the same interview process depending on the state and the specific agency you are applying through.

Additional Resources Rent to Own Homes

Regardless of the agency, program or entity you are requesting single parent rent assistance from, you will always need proof of financial need by providing your tax return forms, as well as proof of residency by providing your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number. Any additional information is dependent on the agency.However, if you present an eviction notice, agencies and programs may only require the bare minimum on the application and grant you emergency assistance for a short period of time.

Additional Resources is privately owned and not associated with any government agency.

Terms | Privacy Policy

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.